Solid State Battery Market
- Solid state battery is the new era of innovation within the energy storage industry which comprises of solid electrolytes and electrodes.
- These solid materials are a good conductor of electricity that helps in improving the performance of the battery. These solid state batteries have high ionic conductivity which reduces the internal resistance and allows high power densities. High electronic resistance will minimize self-discharge rate and results in high charge retention.
- Advanced technology and materials used in solid-state battery have significantly increased the performance and reliability of the battery systems.
- In solid state batteries, liquid electrolytes which were previously used in the conventional lithium-ion batteries are being replaced by lithium metal electrolytes. These solid-state batteries are capable of storing more energy and are highly efficient compared to traditional batteries.
- Advances in energy storage technology and materials have significantly increased the efficiency and reliability, thus resulting in better output of modern battery systems. Economies of scale have dramatically reduced the cost associated with manufacturing of these solid-state batteries.
- Global solid-state battery market was worth USD XX Billion in 2018 and is anticipated to reach USD XX Billion by 2026, at a CAGR of XX% during the forecast period of 2019-2026.
Solid State Battery Market Dynamics
- Rising demand for efficient batteries in the consumer electronics segment is escalating the growth of solid-state batteries market globally. Solid state batteries are considered as safe devices in comparison to the traditional batteries since the flammable liquid electrolyte is not being used in these batteries.
- The emergence of economical solid-state batteries for a wide range of applications positively impacts the global solid-state battery market growth.
- Complex manufacturing process, high cost of the solid-state battery as compared to conventional batteries and being temperature (i.e Low temperature operation is a challenge) sensitive are the key factors restraining the market growth.
Solid State Battery Market Segmentation Analysis
- The solid-state battery market is segmented based on Electrolyte type, capacity, and application.
- By capacity, the solid-state battery market is further segmented into less than 20 mAh, between 20 mAh & 500 mAh, and above 500 mAh capacity batteries.
- The 20 mAh to 500 mAh battery capacity segment accounted for highest market share in 2018 and is expected to maintain its lead throughout the forecast period.
- This is attributed to its increasing application in mobile phones, smart devices, and several other battery-operated home appliances.
- However, the 500 mAh & above battery capacity segment is expected to grow at the fastest CAGR of XX% from 2019 to 2026, owing to its wider applications in IoT and wireless devices.
- Furthermore, less than 20 mAh segment would witness steady growth during the forecast period.
- Based on application, the market is segmented into Consumer electronics, Automotive, Medical devices and others. consumer electronics sub-segment is leading in the usage of solid state batteries in 2018 and is anticipated to grow further during the forecasted period 2019-2026.
- The growing interest of giant consumer electronic companies including Apple, Samsung, LG-Chem, etc. are moving towards solid-state batteries and is a major factor driving the growth of the consumer electronics segment. For instance, in the year 2019 Samsung is planning to replace lithium-ion batteries with solid-state batteries in its phones.
- Furthermore, in October 2015 Dyson acquired solid-state battery manufacturing company Sakti3. This acquisition was made with a core focus on deployment of solid-state batteries in the company’s novel vacuum cleaners.
Solid State Battery Market Geographical Share Analysis
- Global solid state battery market is further segmented based on the region into North America, South America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of world.
- North America solid-state battery market has the largest market share in the solid state battery owing to rising adoption of electric vehicles coupled with increasing R & D activities related to the solid state battery are some of the factors propelling the demand for solid-state batteries in the region.
- As per the International Energy Agency (IEA), total electric vehicle sales in the United States stood at 76 million units in 2017, increasing at a CAGR level of 34.9% since 2013.
- For instance, In febuary 2018, A123 Systems invested into Solid Power Inc. with the focus of developing innovations materials, cell design and manufacturing to achieve new levels of safety in high performing batteries for plug-in electric vehicles using solid-state battery technology.
- The European region is also anticipated to be the fastest evolving region in the solid-state battery market owing to the growing trend of government investments in solid-state batteries. Universities and various research groups are making efforts to promote the research on solid-state battery technology.
- Rising sales volume of electric vehicles and innumerable strategies adopted by the energy storage companies to take solid-state batteries will further influence the solid-state battery market growth in the European region over the forecast period.
Solid State Battery Market Competitive Trends
- Global solid state battery market is highly fragmented due to the presence of multiple large players. Some of the key players are Excellatron Solid State LLC, Solid Power Inc., Maxwell Technologies, Cymbet Corporation, Toyota Motor Corporation, Infinite Power Solutions, Inc., Robert Bosch GmbH, Planar Energy Devices, Inc., Panasonic Corporation and Front Edge Technology, Inc.
- Two prominent players in the global solid-state battery market, i.e., Panasonic Corporation and Toyota Motor Corporation are enhancing the market competitiveness through joint ventures.
- Solid state battery market, in January 2019, Toyota and Panasonic have announced a joint venture to design and build batteries for electric vehicles where the areas of focus will be solid-state batteries development on a commercial base.
Why Purchase the Report?
- Visualize the composition of the Global solid state battery market across each indication, in terms of type and technology, highlighting the key commercial Assets and players.
- Solid state battery market identify commercial opportunities in Global solid-state battery market by analyzing key trends and development.
- Solid state battery market, Excel datasheet has thousands of data points of the Global solid-state battery market- level 4/5 segmentation.
- Solid state battery market, PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- Solid state battery market, Product mapping in excel for the key products of all major market players.
Who can benefit from this report?
- Equipment Suppliers/ Buyers
- Service Providers/ Buyers
- Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
- Education & Research Institutes
- Research Professionals
- Emerging Companies
Global Solid State Battery Market
1. Solid State Battery Market – Scope and Methodology
1.1. Research Methodology
1.2. The scope of the market
2. Solid State Battery Market Trends
2.1. Key Trends and Developments
3. Solid State Battery Market Outlook
3.3. Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4. Solid State Battery Market – Segmentation Analysis
4.1. By Electrolyte type
4.1.1. Polymer Electrolyte
4.1.2. Solid Ceramic Electrolyte
4.2. By Application
4.2.1. Consumer Electronics
4.2.2. Automotive (Hybrid & Electric)
4.2.3. Medical devices
4.3. By Storage Capacity
4.3.1. Less than 20 mAh
4.3.2. Between 20 mAH-500 mAh
4.3.3. Above 500 mAh
5. Solid State Battery Market – Regional, Country-level Analysis
5.1. Geographic Overview
5.2. North America
5.3.4. Rest of Europe
5.4. South America
5.4.3. Rest of South America
5.5. Asia Pacific
5.5.5. Rest of Asia Pacific
5.6. Rest of World
6. Solid State Battery Market – Competitive Analysis
6.1. Competitive Scenario
6.2. Key Strategies adopted by Manufacturers
7. Solid State Battery Market – Company Profiles
7.1. Excellatron Solid State LLC
7.2. Solid Power Inc.
7.3. Maxwell Technologies
7.4. Cymbet Corporation
7.5. Toyota Motor Corporation
7.6. Infinite Power Solutions, Inc.
7.7. Robert Bosch GmbH
7.8. Planar Energy Devices, Inc.
7.9. Front Edge Technology, Inc
7.10. Panasonic Corporation
8. Solid State Battery Market – Appendix
8.2. Contact Us