Chronic Kidney Disease Drugs Market is segmented By Drug Class (ACE Inhibitors, Calcium Channel Blockers, B- Blockers, Diuretics, Erythropoiesis-Stimulating Agents, Others), By Distribution Channel (Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies, Others), and By Region (North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa) – Share, Size, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis, 2022-2029.
[150 Pages Report] The Chronic Kidney Disease Drugs Market is expected to grow at a high CAGR of 3.2% during the forecasting period (2022-2029).
Chronic Kidney Disease Drugs Market - Strategic Insights
By Drug Class, By Distribution Channel, and By Region
Report Insights Covered
Competitive Landscape Analysis, Company Profile Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth, Demand, Recent Developments, Mergers and acquisitions, New Product Launches, Growth Strategies, Revenue Analysis, and Other key insights.
Fastest Growing Region
Largest Market Share
To Get a Free Sample Click here
Chronic kidney disease, also known as chronic kidney failure, describes the gradual loss of kidney function. Kidneys filter the wastes and excess fluids from blood, which are then excreted in the urine.
- However, individuals with chronic kidney disease kidneys cannot perform their natural kidney functions, and dangerous levels of fluid, electrolytes, and wastes build up in their body.
- The symptoms and signs of chronic kidney disease are not apparent until kidney function becomes significantly impaired.
- Diseases and conditions that cause chronic kidney disease include diabetes, high blood pressure, glomerulonephritis (inflammation of the kidney’s filtering units), interstitial nephritis (inflammation of the kidney’s tubules and surrounding structures), and polycystic kidney disease.
- The global chronic kidney disease drugs market’s primary driver is the increasing prevalence of chronic kidney disease among the population globally. Another
- essential factor propelling the growth of this drugs market is the rise of the aging population, who due to their poor immunity are more susceptible to various diseases such as cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. These diseases increase the risk of chronic kidney disease.
- Continuous requirement for the drugs to treat the patients along with easy availability is expected to boost the chronic kidney disease drugs market. According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), in 2017, approximately 15% of the adults in the U.S. have chronic kidney disease.
- Additionally, the increasing awareness and R&D by government organizations and manufacturers about chronic kidney diseases foster the growth of the drugs market.
- However, delayed diagnosis of chronic kidney disease due to vague symptoms, the inclination to generic medication options, and patent expiry of drugs are expected to limit the growth of the constant kidney disease drugs market.
- By Drug class, the market is segmented into ACE inhibitors, calcium channel blockers, B- blockers, diuretics, erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAS), and others. Calcium channel blockers hold the most significant market share as they are commonly used in the treatment of chronic kidney diseases.
- Calcium channel blockers prevent, treat or improve symptoms in a variety of conditions, such as high blood pressure and coronary artery disease, which can increase the risk of chronic kidney diseases. Presently, dominant calcium channel blockers utilized across the world are phenyl alkyl amines (verapamil), benzothiazepines (diltiazem), and dihydropyridines (nifedipine and amlodipine).
- By the distribution channel, the chronic kidney disease drugs market is segmented into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, online pharmacies, and others. Hospital pharmacies dominate the market. However, online pharmacies share is expected to be the fastest-growing share.
- It is mainly due to secure transactions that are provided by online retailers as in most cases of chronic kidney disease treatments the medication is needed on a regular basis, easy availability of the drug is expected to boost the share.
Market Geographical Share
- North America dominates this regional market owing to it to the high prevalence of diabetes and the alarming growth in the obese population.
- The presence of a state-of-art medical and healthcare industry is also expected to drive this regional market. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 26 million Americans are affected by chronic kidney diseases.
- Increasing the awareness of chronic kidney diseases by government organizations is expected to propel the market further. For instance, in 2018, the American Kidney Fund launched a new kidney disease education portal called ‘CKD Central,’ which will provide information and resources on chronic kidney disease (CKD). In the same year, Fresenius Medical North America (FMCNA) contributed 40,000 USD to Kidney School, the world’s most extensive education program for people with chronic kidney disease.
- Europe holds the second-largest regional market is owing to the increasing pool of patients who have kidney cancer in the region. Europe is likely to offer the most favorable growth opportunities to crucial market players.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to project the most market growth owing it to the high prevalence of diabetes in the
- area, developing healthcare infrastructure, favorable government norms, and growing awareness of chronic kidney diseases.
- For instance, in March 2018, the Indian Medical Association launched a chronic kidney disease prevention project to control the ever-increasing epidemic of chronic kidney disease in India.
Market Competitive Trends
- Key players are adopting strategies such as mergers and acquisitions, product launches, partnerships, and regional expansion to stand out as strong competitors in the market.
- Dec. 2018, Akebia Therapeutics and Keryx Biopharmaceuticals announced the successful completion of their previously announced merger.
- The merger aim is to create a fully integrated renal company that has the potential to set new standards of care for patients with kidney disease
- In Dec 2018, China became the first country to approve a new anemia drug for chronic kidney disease from AstraZeneca and fibrinogen, before the United States or Europe. FibroGen sponsored the development and registration of roxadustat in China, while AstraZeneca is responsible for marketing the medicine.
- Nov 2018, GlaxoSmithKline strategic collaboration deal with Japanese company Kyowa Hakko Kirin for the future commercialization of its late-stage candidate, daprodustat, in Japan.
- Daprodustat, an oral hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl hydroxylase inhibitor, is currently being evaluated in phase III studies for the treatment of anemia associated with chronic kidney disease
- June 2018, The US Food and Drug Administration approved Mircera for pediatric use. Mircera is a long-acting erythropoiesis-stimulating agent (ESA) of Vifor Pharma.
- In Sept 2017, Roche and Vifor Pharma extended an agreement on the marketing of Mircera in the USA. The deal provides Vifor with access to add volume for Mircera for the US market. The companies signed a commercialization deal in 2015 for the drug, which is approved in the USA and Europe for the treatment of anemia in certain chronic kidney disease patients.
- In Feb. 2017, Vifor Pharma, a company of the Galenica Group, and ChemoCentryx entered a licensing deal of over 100 million USD. Vifor Pharma gained rights to commercialize ChemoCentryx’s avacopan (CCX168) in Asia, including Japan and the Middle East.
- ChemoCentryx retains all rights in the United States and China. Avacopan is an orally-administered drug currently in Phase III development for rare renal diseases.
- Some of the key players in the chronic kidney disease drugs market are F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Pfizer Inc., AstraZeneca Plc, and Sanofi S.A.
Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Market
Medical Device Testing Services Market
Medical Device Packaging Market
What is the Chronic Kidney Disease Drugs Market growth?
The market is growing at a CAGR of 3.2%
What is Chronic Kidney Disease Drugs Market size in 2021
The Chronic Kidney Disease Drugs Market size was valued at USD YY million in 2021
Who are the key players in Chronic Kidney Disease Drugs Market?
Pfizer Inc., Sanofi S.A., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., AstraZeneca Plc., Kissei Pharmaceutical Co, AbbVie Inc.