Global Smartphone Market is segmented by Operating Systems (Android, Windows, iOS, and Others), by RAM Size (2GB, 3GB–4GB, 6GB, 8GB), by Distribution Channel (Online Channel, Offline Channel), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa) – Share, Size, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis, 2022-2029
[195 Pages Report] The Global "Smartphone Market" is expected to grow at a high CAGR of 7.1% during the forecasting period (2022-2029).
- Smartphones are a class of mobile phones and multi-purpose mobile computing devices. They are distinguished from feature phones by their stronger hardware capabilities and extensive mobile operating systems, which facilitate wider software, internet, and multimedia functionality, alongside core phone functions such as voice calls and text messaging.
- Smartphones typically include various sensors that can be leveraged by their software, such as a magnetometer, proximity sensors, barometer, gyroscope, and accelerometer, and support wireless communications protocols such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and satellite navigation.
By Operating System, By Distribution Channel, And By Region
Report Insights Covered
Competitive Landscape Analysis, Company Profile Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth, Demand, Recent Developments, Mergers and acquisitions, New Product Launches, Growth Strategies, Revenue Analysis, and Other vital insights.
Fastest Growing Region
Largest Market Share
To realize the suppositions considered for the review, Request for Free Sample Report Click Here
- In India, smartphone sales grew 6.7% to 366.2 million units in April-June 2017.
- Southeast Asian countries drove sales in the Asia Pacific that saw a shipment of over 78 million units during the first quarter of 2017.
Market Growth Drivers
- Strong demand for 4G devices in emerging markets like India, is helping the smartphone market to grow exponentially, as per data from research firm Gartner.
- Although demand for utility smartphones remains strong, there is a growing demand in emerging markets for 4G smartphones, with more storage, better processors, and more advanced cameras.
- Further, the biggest advantage of buying a low-cost 4G mobile phone is uninterrupted 4G voice calls. When it comes to usage, the 4G-enabled smartphone is a better option to enjoy the fastest loading speed whenever & wherever.
- Along with all the above benefits, the Reliance JIO support 4G mobile phone comes with a high-quality camera, upgraded Li-ion/Li-polymer battery, dual 4G SIM slots, updated Android OS, & various multimedia features.
Market Growth Restraints
- However, one of the biggest challenges that mobile operators have to face currently is the increasing demand for better battery capacity and the lack of 4G networks in some countries.
- A lot of smartphones now have 3G features. However, there are still some problems such as slow internet access, delay, and interruptions in downloading or streaming. 3G is of course much better than traditional 2G, but mobile operators have to find ways to increase the efficiency of network architectures. But the battery life is still an unsolved riddle, especially when users use 4G or any heavy application.
- Another big issue for mobile operators is security problems. It is so easy to hack a smartphone these days, even IOS operating system which is well known for high security can be hacked and jailbreak within a day. Other operating systems such as Android are considered “too open,” and users can be lost a lot of valuable data they save on their phones.
- Based on operating systems, the global smartphone Market is segmented into android, windows, iOS, and others. Of these, Android OS dominates the market.
- Android has been an open-source platform, which would allow manufacturers to develop their mobile interfaces based on the Android framework. Samsung was another smartphone maker to bet on Android and released its first Android phone in 2009.
- As for the OS, every year, Google has been releasing a new version named after a dessert with new upgrades and features.
- So far, the versions of Android operating systems are Android 1.6 Donut, Android 2.1 Éclair, Android 2.2 Froyo, Android 2.3 Gingerbread, Android 3.0 Honeycomb, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, Android 4.4 KitKat, Android 5.0 lollipops, Android 6.0 Marshmallow, Android 7 is also called Nougat, Android 8 Oreo and the latest version of Android released in August.
- Android now works on platforms beyond just smartphones. Google has developed the OS for televisions, smartwatches, smart home devices, and VR Headsets, and has even developed Android Auto for cars.
Industry Geographical Share
- Geographically, the Global Smartphone Market is segmented into North America, South America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and RoW. Of these, Asia Pacific dominates the market in terms of value.
- India’s smartphone market is driven by rapid device adoption across all age groups, not just Millennials, and the hyper-competition among smartphone manufacturers such as global giants like Apple, Xiaomi, and Samsung. Further, The country’s 1.3 billion citizens are spread across a vast geographic area from modern urban hubs to poor rural villages which have made delivering payments and services challenging for both the public and the private sector.
- That biometric information allows people to more easily access government services, such as subsidies, health care, and education, or do things like open a bank account or cell phone plan remotely using an Aadhaar-approved smartphone.
- The government is pushing smartphone makers to create devices for the domestic market which support iris-based authentication technology.
- Korean manufacturer Samsung — which has 25% of the smartphone market in India, According to IDC is the only company with an Aadhaar-approved device currently on the market.
- Furthermore, Desktop and tablet traffic is stagnant or shrinking in the vast majority of Asia-Pacific countries. Also, as more vendors continue to launch low-priced smartphone models, the price gap between feature phones and smartphones will be narrowed, driving rampant user migration in the price-sensitive Indian market.
Market Competitive Trends
- The major companies involved in the development and sale of smartphones in India include Samsung, Apple Inc., and Xiaomi. The companies are focused on strategic partnerships, Acquisition, and new product launches to expand the business reach and strengthen the regional market position. For instance, in March 2017, Apple Inc. acquired digital music analytics start-up Asaii for strengthening its music-streaming platform.
- Major companies have adopted agreements, product launches, expansion, and mergers to sustain the intense competition in this market. For instance, in March 2018, Apple Inc. acquired the magazine app Texture. This acquisition is for pushing the iPhone maker to generate more revenue from online content and services. The key players profiled in the report include Samsung, Apple, Huawei, Xiaomi, OPPO, Nokia, Sony, LG, VIVO, and Google.
Smart Cities Market
Smart Highways Market
Smart Elevator Market
What is the Growth Rate of the Smartphone Market?
Grow at a high CAGR of 7.1% during the forecasting period (2022-2029).
What Companies Are Included in the Smartphone Market?
Samsung, Apple, Huawei, Xiaomi, OPPO, Nokia, Sony, LG, VIVO, and Google.