Table of Content
Global Smartphone Image Sensor Market is segmented By Technology (CMOS, CCD), Processing Type (2D, and 3D), Spectrum (Visible, and Non- Visible), Array Type (Linear, and Area), By Vertical (Automotive, Consumer Electronics, Industrial), and By Region (North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa) – Share, Size, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis, 2022-2029
Smartphone Image Sensor Market Share, Size, Demand Insights
[195 Pages Report] The Global Smartphone Image Sensors Market is expected to grow at a high CAGR during the forecasting period ( 2022-2029).
- Image sensors are electronic components that are used to convert images into electric signals. The sensor senses and conveys information which helps form the image.
- Currently used types of image sensors are Complementary Metal-oxide Semiconductors (CMOS) image sensors and Charge-coupled devices (CCD) image sensors. Image sensors are widely used in smartphones, digital cameras, and camcorders.
Smartphone Image Sensor Market Scope and Summary
By Technology, By Spectrum, By Array Type, By Vertical, And By Region
Report Insights Covered
Competitive Landscape Analysis, Company Profile Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth, Demand, Recent Developments, Mergers and acquisitions, New Product Launches, Growth Strategies, Revenue Analysis, and Other vital insights.
Fastest Growing Region
Largest Market Share
To realize the suppositions considered for the review, Request for Free Sample Report Click Here
Smartphone Image Sensor Market Dynamics and Trends
- Growing sales of smartphones, demand for high-quality cameras in smartphones, and the increasing market of multicamera smartphones are the key factors responsible for the growth of the global smartphone image sensors market.
- The global sales of smartphones are increasing at a rapid pace. The global sales value of smartphones in 2017 was USD 478.7 billion.
- The total number of smartphones sold to end-users in 2010 was 296 million units, and the figure surged to 1495 million units in 2016, reaching a volume of 1536 million units in 2017.
- The increasing sales of smartphones globally are a crucial factor that is expected to drive the global smartphone image sensors market in the future.
- Technological advancements adopted by major smartphone companies coupled with frequent new launches of smartphones will serve as a critical opportunity for the manufacturers of smartphone image sensors.
- Reduction of time to market, price sensitivity, and high manufacturing costs are essential aspects that might hinder the growth of the global smartphone image sensors market.
- The CMOS sensors are Micro–Electro–Mechanical Systems (MEMS) based and are priced at an average of USD 6.50 to USD 10.
- This price is for the base models, and add-on features incur additional high costs. Not all companies are capable of manufacturing these sensors at these costs on a broader volume scale even after compromising on a few add-on attributes.
- This results in very few models being offered to the customer, and this is a crucial factor that might obstruct the growth of the global smartphone image sensors market.
Smartphone Image Sensor Market Segmentation and Shares Analysis
- The global smartphone image sensors market is segmented by type of product, application, and geography.
- By technology, the market is segmented as – Complementary Metal-oxide SemiconduSemiconductorsnd Charge Coupled Devices (CCD). CMOS is the most commonly used technology in the designing of image sensors for smartphones.
- Though CCD-type image sensors offer greater light sensitivity and better quality, CMOS sensors are preferred due to their low power consumption and simple manufacturing process.
- The CMOS image sensors sales revenue increased from USD 10.5 billion in 2016 to USD 12.5 billion in 2017 and is expected to grow to USD 19 billion by the end of 2019.
- This growing demand for CMOS image sensors is anticipated to drive the CMOS image sensors as the dominant segment of the global smartphone image sensors market.
- Based on the use, the market is segmented into – primary cameras, secondary cameras, and multi-camera smartphones. Dual Cameras have become a significant fixture on most of the smartphones being sold nowadays.
- In just 12 months, the penetration rate of dual-camera phones has changed from 15% in 2016 to 42% in 2017. Almost 42% of the smartphones sold globally in 2018 had dual cameras, and this is expected to grow to 60% of the total smartphone sales by the end of 2019.
- This will serve as a critical opportunity for many OEMs to incorporate enhanced dual-camera sensors in the upcomsmartphones. Thus, the second camera segment dominates the Global Smartphone Image Sensors market.
Smartphone Image Sensor Market Geographical Analysis
- The Global Smartphone Image Sensors market is segmented into North America, South America, Europe, Asia – Pacific, and the Rest of the World (ROW).
- The Asia – Pacific region is expected to dominate the global smartphone image sensors market owing to the concentration of many sensor manufacturing companies in this region.
- Companies like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, and Toshiba are significant manufacturers of image sensors, and they have established the Asia – Pacific region as their manufacturing base. Moreover, some smartphones being sold in the Asia – Pacific region is another attributing factor to the domination of the Asia – Pacific region. About a quarter of all smartphone users in the world are located in China.
- Asia – Pacific region shipped 755 million smartphones in 2017 in China alone shipped close to 454 million smartphones. In 2017 alone, the smartphone market in China accounted for USD 133.6 billion USD. Owing to the growing smartphone market in this region, the Asia – Pacific is anticipated to dominate the global smartphone image sensors market.
Smartphone Image Sensor Companies and Competitive Trends
- The major players in this market incorporate competitive strategies like New product launches and expansion of facilities to improve their competitiveness in the market.
- For instance, in January 2019, Omnivision released the new OV02K, a new video-centric, 2.9-micron 1080p image sensor that allows multicamera-configured smartphones to record high-quality videos with greater sensitivity and low noise.
- It has also released a 1/3 – inch 13MP sensor for entry-level and mainstream smartphones. Moreover, in July 2018, SK Hynix announced that the company will construct a new fabrication plant in Incheon, to respond to the growing demand and secure a future growth engine.
The scope of the Report
The report covers the factors impacting the market, Porter 5 Forces, Market Share Analysis, Price trend analysis, Product Benchmarking, and company profiles.
- Based on the technology, the market is segmented as – Complementary Metallic Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) and Charge-coupled.
- Based on the application, the market is segmented into – primary cameras, secondary cameras, and multi-camera smartphones.
- Based on geography, the market is segmented into the following regions – North America, South America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, and the Rest of the World.
- The report profiles the following companies – OmniVision Technologies, Sony Corporation, Samsung Electronics, On Semiconductors, Panasonic Corporation, ST Microelectronics, Himax Technologies, SK Hynix, Superpix micro Technologies, and Toshiba.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Growth Rate of the Smartphone Image Sensors Market?
Grow at a high CAGR during the forecasting period ( 2022-2029).
What Companies Are Included in the Smartphone Image Sensors Market?
OmniVision Technologies, Sony Corporation, Samsung Electronics, On Semiconductors, Panasonic Corporation, ST Microelectronics, Himax Technologies, SK Hynix, Superpix micro Technologies, and Toshiba.
Foam Glass Market
Flat Glass Market
Mobile Phone Accessories Packaging Market
Buy this report
Proceed to Buy