Hair Loss Medication Market
- Hair-loss also was known as alopecia or baldness is a medical condition that refers to the loss of hair from the head or any part of the body.
- It causes clumps of hair to fall out which leads to hairless patches on the scalp or other areas of the body. Hair-loss occurs in both male and female regardless of their age. It is of five types, alopecia areata, androgenic alopecia, cicatricial alopecia, traction alopecia, and alopecia totalis.
- Androgenic alopecia is commonly known as male pattern baldness and female pattern hair loss. There are very few approved treatment drugs for the treatment of hair loss.
- According to the American Hair Loss Association, by the age of 50, about 85% of men and 40% of women experience thinning hair in the US. Hair-loss is mainly genetical but can be caused by some other factors like sedentary lifestyle, unhealthy diets, aging and hormonal imbalance and increasing chronic diseases like arthritis, cancer, hypertension, and depression.
- The prevalence rate of hair-loss is high among the working age population. As per the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, 84.6% of individuals who got hair-loss treatment in 2018 was due to genetic hair loss.
- According to U.S. Foods and Drugs Administration (FDA), over 800 thousand patients are seeking some kind of treatment for hair loss worldwide.
- The global hair loss medication market will exhibit an XX% CAGR from 2019 to 2026, having an estimated market share of US XX billion by 2026.
Hair Loss Medication Market Drivers
- The significant drivers driving the market are changing lifestyle patterns, adoption of a hectic schedule that increases stress levels, which in turn results in frequent hair loss at earlier stages among the young population, growing disposable income and increased emphasis on appearances.
- According to National Alopecia Areata Foundation (NAAF), the prevalence of hair loss has increased in the age group of 10 to 25 years in the last decade, and around 60% of this age group suffers from hair loss. As per the American Hair Loss Association, more than 66% of men below the age of 35 experienced hair loss problems in the year 2018. Besides, about 85% of the men below the age of 55 are expected to face thinning of hair. More than 21 million women are suffering from severe hair loss problems with about 40% of them getting active treatments.
Hair Loss Medication Market Restraints
- The presence of an alternative treatment option for hair-loss such as hair transplant surgery, laser, and light-based therapies and the high cost of medication is going to restrain the market in the forecast period.
Hair Loss Medication Market Segmentation Analysis
- By Drug Type, the global hair loss medication market is segmented into Vasodilators (Minoxidil), 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors (Finasteride), Corticosteroids, Immunosuppressants (Cyclosporine) and others.
- By gender, the market is segmented into male, female and children.
- By route of administration, the market is segmented into oral, topical and injectable.
- By distribution channel, the market is segmented into hospital, retail pharmacies, online pharmacies, and others.
- According to the data published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), in 2018, Minoxidil was the most prevalent drug typically used in hair loss disorder with around 2% population consumption worldwide.
Hair Loss Medication Market Geographical Share
- Geographically, the global hair loss medication market is divided into North America, Europe, South America, Asia-Pacific and the rest of the world.
- North America is having a huge market for hair loss medication and is going to dominate the market throughout the forecast followed by Europe.
- According to the American Hair Loss Association, more than 80 million men and women are suffering from hair loss problems in the US alone. There are many positive initiatives taken by organizations such as NAAF and the American Hair Loss Association.
- The Children Alopecia Project by the American Hair Loss Association is dedicated to making investments in Children Support Groups and promote research and development activities in hair-loss treatment for children.
- Bald Truth is a radio program that is spreading awareness about the different types of alopecia affecting people and about the various products used for the effective treatment of alopecia that is currently available in the market.
- Rapunzel Project is another initiative by the American Hair Loss Association that is dedicated to preventing hair loss in chemotherapy patients.
- According to the Eurostat, the population in the European Union between 15-64 years is expected to decline by 2060, while the population above 60 years is expected to grow from 18% to 30%.
- Similarly, in America, the aging population is forecasted to be doubled by 2060 to reach 98 million. Increased hair loss problems due to aging have strongly affected the market growth.
Hair Loss Medication Market Competitive Trends
- Cipla, Merck & Co., Johnson & Johnson, Lifes2good, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, Sun Pharma, Kirkland Signature, Histogen Inc., GlaxoSmithKline plc. And L`Oreal S.A. is some of the major players in the market.
- In May 2018, Histogen, Inc., received approval of its investigational new drug application from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to study its first product Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC660) in female diffuse hair loss. HSC660 is an investigational injectable treatment for alopecia and is expected to get FDA approval shortly.
- In April 2018, Concert Pharmaceuticals, Inc., finished patient recruitment for Phase 2a trial evaluating CTP-543 for the treatment of moderate-to-severe alopecia areata.
- In January 2018, Concert Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a U.S.-based company received Fast Track designation from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for its unique product CTP-543. CTP-543 is a novel, oral Janus kinase (JAK) inhibitor for the treatment of moderate-to-severe alopecia areata.
- In January 2018, HCell Inc., a Texas-based biotechnology company received Orphan Drug Designation (ODD) for HC017AA drug from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). HC017AA is an underdevelopment drug indicated for non- surgical treatment for Alopecia Areata in Pediatric Patients
Why purchase the report?
- Visualize the composition of the hair loss medication market across each indication, in terms of type and by type highlighting the key commercial assets and players.
- Identify business opportunities in hair loss medication by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
- Excel data sheets with thousands of data points of hair loss medication market- level 4/5 segmentation.
- A PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- Product mapping in excel for the principal products of all major market players.
Who can benefit from this report?
- Medical device companies
- Hospitals and clinics
- Research and consulting firms
- Healthcare associations/institutes
- Venture capitalists
- Government agencies
Global Hair Loss Medication Market
1. Hair Loss Medication Market – Scope and Methodology
1.1. Research Methodology
1.2. Scope of the market
2. Hair Loss Medication Market Trends
2.1. Key Market Trends and Developments in Hair Loss Medication Market
3. Hair Loss Medication Market Outlook
3.4. Pricing Analysis
3.6. Supply Chain Analysis
3.7. Reimbursement Policies
3.8. Technological Advancements
3.9. PEST analysis
3.10. Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4. Hair Loss Medication Market – Segmentation Analysis
4.1. By Drug Type
4.1.1. Vasodilators (Minoxidil)
4.1.2. 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors (Finasteride)
4.1.4. Immunosuppressants (Cyclosporine)
4.2. By Gender
4.3. By Route of Administration
4.4. By Distribution Channel
4.4.2. Retail pharmacies
4.4.3. Online pharmacies
5. Hair Loss Medication Market – Regional, Country-level Analysis
5.1. Geographic Overview
5.2. North America
5.2.1. The U.S.
5.3.2. The U.K.
5.3.6. Rest of Europe
5.4. South America
5.4.3. Rest of South America
5.5. Asia Pacific
5.5.5. Rest of Asia Pacific
5.6. Rest of the World
6. Hair Loss Medication Market – Competitive Analysis
6.1. Competitive Scenario
6.2. Heat Map Analysis
6.3. Product Benchmarking
7. Hair Loss Medication Market – Company Profiles
7.2. Merck & Co.
7.3. Johnson & Johnson
7.5. Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
7.6. Sun Pharma
7.7. Kirkland Signature
7.8. Histogen Inc.
7.9. GlaxoSmithKline plc.
7.10. L`Oreal S.A
8. Hair Loss Medication Market – Key companies to watch
9. Hair Loss Medication Market – Emerging companies
10. Hair Loss Medication Market – Appendix
10.2. List of Tables
10.3. Expert Panel Validation
10.5. Contact Us