Edible Hydrogenated Oils Market
- Hydrogenation is the process of adding hydrogen to an edible vegetable oil using a catalyst to produce a fat with semi-solid consistency. Oils are hydrogenated to increase its resistance to rancidity (oxidation) or to change its physical appearance and to have a longer shelf life.
- The global edible hydrogenated oils market was worth XX billion in 2018 and is forecasted to reach XX billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of XX% during the forecast period (2019-2026).
Edible Hydrogenated Oils Market Dynamics
- Fat hydrogenation increases the shelf life of oils and adds flavor and texture to the oil. The growing need for increasing the shelf life of oils is driving the market.
- Moreover, the growing demand for the hydrogenated palm oil is boosting the market. Hydrogenated palm oil contains fewer trans fat than other hydrogenated oils, as palm oil is already high in saturated fats, manufacturers need not hydrogenate it as thoroughly as other oils.
- However, the hydrogenated oil contains trans fats which raise the bad LDL cholesterol and lower the good HDL cholesterol. Trans fat also increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases and are therefore unhealthy at higher levels of consumption.
- FDA has even revoked the generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status of partially hydrogenated oils which would hamper the growth of the partially hydrogenated oil market.
Edible Hydrogenated Oils Segmentation Analysis
- The global edible hydrogenated oils market is segmented on the basis of the product type and the application. Based on the product type, the market is segmented into partially hydrogenated oils (PHO) and fully hydrogenated oils (FHO).
- Partial hydrogenation creates molecules with a ‘trans’ configuration, with hydrogen atoms diagonally across from each other and are therefore called ‘trans’ fats.
- Fully hydrogenated oils become more saturated with hydrogen, so virtually no trans fats are left. FHOs and PHOs are not the same either. Although FHOs many increase LDL cholesterol like PHOs and saturated fats, PHOs have also been shown to lower HDL or ‘good’ cholesterol.
- On the basis of the application, the market is segmented into the bakery, confectionery, frying, and others.
Edible Hydrogenated Oils Geographical Share
- The global edible hydrogenated oils market is segmented into the regions – North America, South America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Rest of the World.
- Asia Pacific region is the largest and the dominant segment in the market. However, the recent FDA regulations which curb the use of partially hydrogenated oils is expected to hamper the growth of the market, especially in North America.
Edible Hydrogenated Oils Manufacturers
With the recent FDA regulations which curb the use of PHOs for food uses, the key players in the market are focusing on offering alternative ingredients and providing FHOs rather than offering PHOs for food uses.
Few of the key market players of the global edible hydrogenated oil market are:
1. Cargill, Inc.
2. AAK AB.
3. Nisshin Oillio Group Ltd.
4. Archer Daniels Midland Company.
5. Bunge Ltd.
6. Wilmar International Ltd.
7. American Vegetable Oils, Inc.
8. Olympic Oils, Ltd.
9. BASF SE.
10. Mewah Group.
Global Edible Hydrogenated Oils Market
1: Edible Hydrogenated Oils Market - Methodology and Scope:
2: Edible Hydrogenated Oils Market - Market Trends
2.1. Key Trends
3: Edible Hydrogenated Oils Market - Industry Analysis
3.1. Market Drivers
3.1.1. Increases the shelf life of oils
3.1.2. Increasing demand for hydrogenated palm oil
3.2. Market Restraints
3.2.1. Risk of cardiovascular diseases
3.3. Porter’s 5 Forces
4: Edible Hydrogenated Oils Market Segmentation
4.1. By Product Type
4.1.1. Partially Hydrogenated Oils
4.1.2. Fully Hydrogenated Oils
4.2. By Application
5: Edible Hydrogenated Oils Market - Geographical Analysis
5.1. North America
5.1.1. The USA
5.2.3. The UK
5.2.6. Rest of Europe
5.3.5. Rest of Asia Pacific
5.4. South America
5.4.3. Rest of South America
5.5. Rest of the World
6: Edible Hydrogenated Oils Market - Competitive Landscape
6.1. Market Share Analysis
6.2. Mergers and Acquisitions Analysis
6.3. New Product Launches
7: Edible Hydrogenated Oils Market - Company Profile
7.1. Cargill Inc
7.2. AAK AB
7.3. Nisshin Oillio Group Ltd
7.4. Archer Daniels Midland Company
7.5. Bunge Ltd
7.6. Wilmar International Ltd
7.7. American Vegetable Oils, Inc
7.8. Olympic Oils, Ltd
7.9. BASF SE
7.10. Mewah Group
8: Edible Hydrogenated Oils Market - Appendix
8.2. List of Tables
8.3. Expert Panel Validation
8.5. Contact Us