Automotive Turbocharger Market
- Turbochargers are turbine-driven forced induction devices that improving engines volumetric efficiency by increasing density of the intake gas allowing more power per engine cycle. The turbocharger is used in vehicles such as passenger car, commercial vehicle and high duty vehicle.
- The turbine in the turbocharger spins at speeds of up to 150,000 rotations per minute, i.e., about 30 times faster than most car engines can go.
- Global automotive turbocharger market is expected to grow at a CAGR of XX% to reach a market value of USD XXXX million by 2025. The global turbo industry had 35 million turbocharged vehicles in 2015.
- Turbochargers are the most affordable green technology available, as it increases fuel efficiency in engine downsizing without compromising performance.
- A turbo fitted to a small engine is equaled to the power of a large engine combined with fuel efficiency and improved emissions of a small engine it delivers up to 20% better fuel economy in vehicles with gasoline engines and up to 40% fuel savings on diesel engines.
International Council on combustion engines (IMO) III regulation 2016 to reduce the specific Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) emissions (about -80% compared to the IMO I values) needs to be achieved in the ECA’s (Emission Control Areas). Sulphur-oxides (Sox) and particulate matter (PM) emissions are to be controlled by limiting the sulfur content of the fuel used in the turbocharger system.
Market Drivers & Restraints
- Fuel-efficiency regulations are driving the use of turbochargers in vehicles and boosting revenue for the Turbocharger manufacturing industry. This is driving the global automotive turbocharger market.
- Rising consumer spending will also increase automotive production, leading to the greater implementation of turbochargers in fuel-efficient vehicles. This will further boost the market for a global automotive turbocharger in the forecast period.
- In larger turbocharger, reaching the boost threshold can provide an almost instantaneous surge in power, which could compromise tire traction or cause some instability of the car. This may downstream from the global automotive turbocharger market.
- The turbochargers get very hot and often tap into the engine’s oil supply. This calls for additional plumbing and is more demanding on the engine oil. Superchargers typically do not require engine oil lubrication. This is a significant restraint for the global automotive turbocharger market.
Market Segmentation Analysis
By turbocharger type
- Exhaust-gas turbochargers enhance performance, increase speed and power as well as engine performance at the same time reducing fuel consumption and exhaust emissions.
- Axial flow turbochargers are used in aircraft engines because of their large size and heavy weight; these are similar to gas turbochargers. With the fuel flow through the wheel in an axial direction, the axial flow turbocharger compresses air into increasingly smaller spaces using a series of the impeller or axial compressor fans.
- The radial flow turbochargers are the most popular type for automotive applications, the gas inflow is centripetal and is directed from the outside in a radial direction. It can increase the power of an automobile up to 1,000 horsepower.
- Turbocharger sales in the United States got a boost when the federal government’s corporate average fuel economy targets were raised to 35.5 mpg by 2016.
- Europe is the leading region regarding turbocharger adoption across light and commercial vehicles, exceeding 70% penetration by 2015.
- The major players for the global automotive turbocharger market are BorgWarner and Cummins, which collectively account for 77.3% of revenue 2017.
- Cummins has developed a highly optimized mixed flow turbine stage and a revolutionary turbine exit diffuser design with wastegate flow control, and optimization of the compressor stage.
- To improve the performance and efficiency of heavy-duty commercial wastegate turbochargers by using advanced computer modeling and real-world lab testing. This new approach has resulted in improvement in turbocharger efficiency by up to 6% and fuel efficiency of 1.5%.
Key market segments covered
By Turbocharger Type
• Exhaust gas turbocharger
• Axial flow turbocharger
• Radial flow turbocharger
By Technology Type
• Variable geometry turbocharger
• Twin turbocharger
By Engine Type
• Diesel engine
• Gasoline engine
By Vehicle Type
• Passenger car
• Commercial vehicle
• Heavy duty vehicle
By Sales Channel
• Asia Pacific
• North America
• South America
• Rest of the World
Why purchase the report?
• Visualize the composition of the automotive turbocharger market across each indication, regarding by turbocharger type, by technology type, by engine type by vehicle type and by sales channel highlighting the vital commercial assets and players.
• Identify business opportunities in automotive turbocharger market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
• Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of the automotive turbocharger market – level 4/5 segmentation
• PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study
• Product mapping in excel for the automotive turbocharger products of all major market players
Who can benefit from this report?
• Raw Material Suppliers/ Buyers
• Product Suppliers/ Buyers
• Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
• Education & Research Institutes
• Research Professionals
• Emerging Companies
1. SCOPE AND METHODOLOGY
1.1. Research Methodology
1.2. Scope of the market
2. Industry Trends
2.1. Key Market trends and Developments in automotive turbocharger Market
3. Market Outlook
3.3. Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4. Product-based Analysis
4.1. BY TURBOCHARGER TYPE
4.1.1. Exhaust gas turbocharger
4.1.2. Axial flow turbocharger
4.1.3. Radial flow turbocharger
4.2. BY TECHNOLOGY TYPE
4.2.1. Variable geometry turbocharger
4.2.2. Waste gate
4.2.3. Twin turbocharger
4.3. BY ENGINE TYPE
4.3.1. Diesel engine
4.3.2. Gasoline engine
4.4. BY VEHICLE TYPE
4.4.1. Passenger car
4.4.2. Commercial vehicle
4.4.3. Heavy duty vehicle
4.5. BY SALES CHANNEL
5. Regional, Country-level Analysis
5.1. North America
5.2.4. Rest of Europe
5.3. South America
5.3.3. Rest of South America
5.4. Asia Pacific
5.4.4. Rest of Asia Pacific
5.5. Rest of the World
6. Competitive Analysis
6.1. Market Share /Rank Analysis
6.2. Key strategies adopted by market players
7. Company Profiles
7.1. BorgWarner Inc.
7.2. Continental AG
7.3. Cummins Inc.
7.4. Delphi Technologies PLC
7.5. Honeywell International Inc.
7.6. Magnum Performance Turbos, Inc
7.7. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.
7.8. Precision Turbo and Engine
7.9. IHI Turbo America
8.2. List of Tables
8.3. Expert Panel Validation
8.5. Contact Us