- Antimony is a semi-metallic chemical element that exists in both metallic and non-metallic form. One of the significant uses of antimony is in making an alloy with lead.
- Lead-antimony alloys are used for solder, ammunition, fishing tackle and batteries. The manufacture of lead storage batteries accounts for the significant share of the antimony market owing to the increasing demand for electric vehicles.
- A small amount of antimony is also used in making transistors and diodes which are found in many consumer electrical devices. However, antimony poses many health and environmental hazards which causes a great hindrance to the growth of the market.
The global antimony market accounted for USD XX million in 2017 and market size is expected to grow at a CAGR of XX% to reach USD XX million in 2025.
Antimony Market Trends
- The surging demand for electric vehicles and flame retardants are the primary market drivers. Lead acid batteries form an integral part of electric cars, in which antimony is widely used to make lead-antimony binary alloys for the supports in the array.
- Antimony is added to the material of the support grids of lead-acid batteries to impart desirable properties. Antimony can also be recycled from the lead-acid batteries and has now become a prominent source for antimony.
- Moreover, the increasing demand for antimony trioxide in the production of flame retardants, to manufacture household goods, including consumer electronics, clothing, and toys in developed countries, is expected to boost the growth of the market. The increasing use of antimony in manufacturing ammunition is also likely to drive the growth of the market.
- For instance, in July 2018, the United States Antimony Corporation announced successful testing of a new product, antimony trisulfide, which can be used as a primer component in center-fired ammunitions.
- However, antimony and its compounds are hazardous to human health, which might hamper the growth of the market. High exposure to antimony can lead to breathing disorders, skin irritation, and even lung cancer.
- Moreover, the stringent government regulations due to the several environmental and health hazards might hinder the growth of the market.
Segmentation Analysis Antimony Market
- The Global Antimony market is segmented by product type, end-use industry, and application.
- By end-user industry, the market is segmented into cosmetics, electronics, pharmaceuticals, and others.
- By the product type, the market is segmented into a metal ingot, antimony trioxide, antimony pentoxide, alloys, and others.
- By application, the market is segmented into flame retardants, plastic additives, lead-acid batteries, glass & ceramics, and others.
- Lead-acid batteries and flame retardants are a significant application segment. Increasing demand for flame retardants in several end-user industries such as consumer electronics and plastics is the primary driver for the growth of the market.
- Moreover, the surging demand for electric vehicles has increased the adoption of lead-acid batteries which are anticipated to boost the market for antimony.
Global Geographical Analysis of Antimony Market
- The global Antimony market is segmented into the regions as North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and others. China is the largest producer, consumer, and has the largest reserves of antimony in the world.
- The market segments hold the largest market share during the forecast period.
- The availability of vast reserves, cheap and abundant labor in China, has driven the growth of the market in this region. However, stringent government regulations in China is expected to hinder the growth of the market.
- The export restrictions in China to regulate illegal and unlicensed mines has led to a sudden and sharp increase in the global price of antimony decreased the amount of antimony that can be imported and increased the export tax, which might cause a hindrance in the growth of the market.
Antimony Competitive Scenario
- The global Antimony market is fragmented with the majority of the production done in China. However, the stringent environmental regulations in China have led to many mine closures, and an increase in the Chinese imports of antimony concentrates.
- Tajikistan is one of the major producers and sources of antimony outside of China. For instance, in July 2018, the Chinese company Tibet Huayu Mining and Tajikistan’s state-owned smelter Talco have entered into a joint venture on a new gold and antimony mining project in Tajikistan.
- This project is expected to produce 16,000tpy of antimony. Much of these concentrates is sent back to China where antimony is processed, predominantly for use in flame retardants.
Key Market Players Global Antimony Industry
• Amspec Chemical Corporation
• BASF SE
• Campine NV
• Mandalay Resources Corporation
• Nihon Seiko Co, Ltd
• NYACOL Nano Technologies, Inc.
• Recylex S.A.
• Tri-Star Resources Plc.
• United States Antimony Corporation
• Yunnan Muli Antimony Industry Co., Ltd.
Key Takeaways from this report
• Aerospace & Defense is the largest and fastest growing end-use industry segment, owing to the high adoption in the US military applications.
• China is the largest producer, consumer, and has the largest reserves of antimony in the world.
• China, with its vast reserves and cheap labor, is expected to be the fastest growing region.
• The global antimony market is highly fragmented with the majority of the production in China.
The scope of the Report
The report covers the factors impacting the market, Porter 5 Forces, Competitive Landscape, Product Benchmarking, and company profiles. Antimony Market is segmented based on the end-user industry as cosmetics, electronic devices, and others. Based on the product type the market is segmented as – flame retardants, plastic additives, lead-acid batteries, glass & ceramics, and others. Based on geography the market is segmented into – North America, South America, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East and Africa.
Reasons for purchasing this report
• Visualize the composition of the Antimony market across each indication, regarding the end-user industry, product type and application highlighting the vital commercial assets and players.
• Identify business opportunities in Antimony market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
• Excel data sheet with thousands of data points from the Antimony market – level 4/5 segmentation.
• PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
• Product mapping in excel for the principal products of all major market players
Is this report right for me?
• Equipment Suppliers/ Buyers
• Service Providers/ Buyers
• Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
• Education & Research Institutes
• Research Professionals
• Emerging Companies
Global Antimony Market
1. Methodology and Scope
1.1 Research methodology
1.2 Scope of the Report
2. Industry Trends
2.1 Key Trends & Developments
3. Market Outlook
3.1 Industry Impact Factors (Drivers & Restraints)
3.1.1 Market Drivers
3.1.2 Market Restraints
3.2 Porter 5 Forces
3.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4. Product-based Analysis
4.1 By Product Type
4.1.1 Metal Ingot
4.1.2 Antimony trioxide
4.1.3 Antimony pentoxide
4.1.4 Others (Alloys)
4.2 By Application
4.2.1 Flame Retardants
4.2.2 Plastic Additives
4.2.3 Lead-Acid Batteries
4.2.4 Glass & Ceramics
4.2.5 Others (Catalyst in PET production)
4.3 By End-use Industry
5. Regional, Country-level Analysis
5.1 Global Antimony Market – Geographic Overview
5.2 North America
5.3 South America
5.3.3 Rest of South America
5.4.2 United Kingdom
5.4.4 Rest of Europe
5.5.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6. Competitive Analysis
6.1 Competitive Scenario
6.2 Key Strategies adopted by Manufacturers
6.3 Product Benchmarking
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Amspec Chemical Corporation
7.2 BASF SE
7.3 Campine NV
7.4 Mandalay Resources Corporation
7.5 Nihon Seiko Co, Ltd.
7.6 NYACOL Nano Technologies, Inc.
7.7 Recylex S.A.
7.8 Tri-Star Resources Plc.
7.9 United States Antimony Corporation
7.10 Yunnan Muli Antimony Industry Co., Ltd.