Table of Contents
Global Cough Suppressant Drugs Market is segmented By Disease Type (Dry Cough, Wet Cough), By Drug Type (Dextromethorphan, Codeine, Noscapine, Butamirate, Benzonatate, Pholcodine, Others), By Dosage Form (Syrup, Tablet, Others), By Age Group(Pediatric, Adult), By Distribution Channel(Hospitals, Retail Pharmacy, Online Pharmacy, Others), and By Region (North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa) – Share, Size, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis, 2022-2029
The Global "Cough Suppressant Drugs Market" is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.4% during the forecasting period (2022-2029).
- A cough is a reflex action to clear your airways of mucus and irritants such as dust or smoke. A cough is the most common symptom of various upper and lower respiratory tract infections. It affects a large proportion of the population leading them to seek medical attention. Cough suppressants, also known as Antitussives, are widely used to relieve the symptoms of cough. They are substances that suppress the coughing itself.
- The global market for the Cough Suppressant Drugs Market is primarily driven high prevalence of cough. Moreover, cough can be contagious and gets transmitted through bacteria and viruses to the unaffected people and is expected to increase the demand for cough suppressant drugs.
- However, stringent regulations against the use of cough suppressants are expected to hinder market progress.
By Drug Type, the global cough suppressant drugs market is segmented into dextromethorphan, codeine, noscapine, butamirate, benzonatate, pholcodine, and others. Codeine and Dextromethorphan are the most common and widely used cough suppressants in the market. However, the changing of safety labels to prevent addiction to Codeine may hinder its market. For instance, in January 2018, the U.S. FDA made safety label changes to limit the use of prescriptions containing codeine in cough and cold medicines for children younger than 18 years. Consequently, these products will no longer be prescribed for the pediatric population in the treatment of cough. February 2018, the Therapeutic Goods Administration in Australia, relabeled codeine as prescription-only medicine as regular use of codeine-containing medications may lead to its addiction. Previously, it was available as an over-the-counter medication.
- By dosage form, the global cough suppressant drugs market is segmented into syrup, tablets, and others. The syrup segment holds the most significant market share is owing to its quick relief. However, the tablet share is fast-growing attributed to the recent new drug releases.
- By age group, the global cough suppressant drugs market is segmented into pediatric and adult. Adult share holds the most significant segment was owing to restrictions on the medication which can be prescribed to the pediatric population.
North America is the dominant share in the global Cough Suppressant Drugs market, and it is primarily attributed to factors such as various approvals to novel drugs by the FDA. Moreover, its broad base of the patient population and the established healthcare infrastructure and the rising disposable income and higher investment in R&D activities contribute to the growth of North America’s share.
- Key players are adopting strategies such as mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and regional expansion to stand out as strong competitors in the market. New product launches along with an increased focus on R&D are other ways the leading players improve their market presence.
- December 2018, Aytu BioScience, a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on global commercialization of novel products addressing significant medical needs, announced the commercial availability of Tuzistra XR (codeine polistirex and chlorpheniramine polistirex) oral suspension, CIII. and has now shipped initial Tuzistra XR product supply to U.S. wholesalers for availability to retail pharmacies throughout the U.S.
- November 2018, Aytu BioScience, entered an exclusive license with Tris Pharma for FDA-approved Tuzistra XR. Aytu BioScience also licensed complementary antitussive products with pending FDA approval.
- March 2018, Perrigo Company received FDA approval for Mucinex DM Maximum Strength, which is indicated to control coughs and break up mucus.
- 2015, Vernalis and Tris Pharma received the U.S.FDA approval for the New Drug Application (NDA) for Tuzistra XR. The Tuzistra XR is a codeine-based extended-release oral suspension for cough-cold treatment.
- 2015, Tris Pharma, Inc. entered into a license, supply, and distribution agreement with Pfizer Consumer Healthcare (a part of Pfizer Inc.). According to the agreement, Pfizer Consumer Healthcare will commercialize Tris’ extended-release dextromethorphan cough syrup under the Robitussin Brand.
Why Purchase the Report?
Visualize the composition of the global Cough Suppressant Drugs Market across each indication, in terms of type and treatment options, highlighting the key commercial assets and players.
Identify commercial opportunities in the global Cough Suppressant Drugs Market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of the global Cough Suppressant Drugs Market - level 4/5 segmentation.
PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
Product mapping in excel for the key products of all major market players
Equipment Suppliers/ Buyers
Service Providers/ Buyers
Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
Education & Research Institutes
Alfalfa Hay Market
Corneal Surgery Market
Cancer Molecular Diagnostics Market
Buy this report
Proceed to Buy